Reading over the two abortion articles from vastly different religions and customs was extremely interesting to me. One was a letter from Pope John Paul II to all the world's bishops and the other was references about Islamic views. Overall, both were similar in the fact that both cultures heavily condoned such practices as abortions. However, the main difference that I found surprising was that the Islamic views were a little more practical and had some exceptions. To them, if both lives- the mother and the fetus- were in danger, the "life of one should be given preference over the other." In other words, it is better to abort the baby and have the mother live, rather than both suffer and die. I found myself agreeing with this article more than the Catholic viewpoints. Naturally, I am against abortion, as being a self-proclaimed Christian, but there are obvious hypothetical situations that I would be in favor of aborting a baby. On the other hand, the Catholic stand was very extreme, as abortion was just wrong without argument. To Catholics, aborting a baby is the "slaughter of the innocents" and should be prevented at all costs.
Overall, I agree with both articles to a point, but when it comes to the danger of the mother, than I would definitely side with the Islamic viewpoint. Both offered solid reasons and remarks about the topic however, so I respect both opinions.
No comments:
Post a Comment